The Music department at Langley Preparatory School at Taverham Hall offers all children the opportunity to develop their musical skills and to become involved in music in a practical way. The School has an established tradition of musical excellence. Music is taught to all pupils at the School and involves lots of practical music-making, including – composing, listening and performance.
The purpose-built music block is well equipped with percussion instruments, African drums, keyboards and comfortable practice rooms. Pupils use ICT to enhance their study of music and they notate their compositions using Sibelius software as well as our iMac recording and composing equipment.
Ten visiting instrumental specialists provide tuition on a wide range of instruments. These lessons are carefully timetabled during the school day to avoid disruption to other school work. Tuition is also provided for music theory, music scholarship class, individual or shared tuition with instrumental specialists as well as a Year 2 string scheme.
Pupils receive progress and target reports and regularly work towards practical and music theory examinations (there is a 100% pass rate ABRSM and Rock School), and soloists and ensembles are encouraged to take part in music festivals.
As pupils reach a confident level of performance, they are encouraged to join ensembles and to perform in concerts and morning assemblies. Performance opportunities are offered via a variety of School ensembles including the following: Brass Ensemble, Cello Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Neat Beatz, Samba Band, Woodwind Group, Ukulele Orchestra, Rock Bands, Pop Brands, String Orchestra, Recorder Groups, Pre-Prep Choir, Prep Choir, Magna Voce and Chamber Choir. In addition, a comprehensive programme of optional extra-curricular activities aid further development as well as links with the Drama department within the School.
Tuition is provided on the following instruments:
Flute, Recorder, Clarinet, Oboe, Saxophone, Bassoon, Violin, Cello, Double bass, Trumpet, Trombone, Piano, Guitar, Drum kit, Percussion, Singing.
Note: pupils interested in receiving individual music lessons will receive a FREE trial lesson after which lessons can be arranged with the relevant tutor.
Director of Music: Jonty Tan BA (Hons), dipABRSM
- Wendy Bailey- LTCL, ATCL, Cert. Ed.: Clarinet/Brass
- Phil Davison – BSc, Grade 8 Distinction, Rockschool Drums: Drum Kit
- Andrew Dodd – BA (Hons): Bass Guitar and Piano
- Christine Godfrey – NTC Dip, Dip. ABRSM: Woodwind
- Kayleigh Simpson – BA (Hons) : Cello
- Paul Hill – Grade 8 guitar, RGT registered, London College of Music examiner; LLCM and FLCM
- Lisa Cassidy – BA (Hons), PG Dip, MMus: Coloratura Soprano – Singing
- Veronica Wilson – BMus (Hons), LGSM, EPTA Cert. PTC (Distinction), Dip. Music Therapy, ATCL: Piano
- George Weitz – BA (Hons), M.Mus: Violin and Viola
- Dave Pulin – CTABRSM, BA Hons: Double Bass and String Bass