U13s qualify for National IAPS Hockey Finals!

U13s @ IAPS Regional Hockey Championships

group stages: 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss;   lost quarter finals;   won play-off for place to national finals – finished in top 6


The boys travelled to Bishops Stortford College determined to get their season back on track after a slight blip before half term. The first game was against Ardingly College and our team started well and were soon on top. Scoring an early goal settled us down and we went on to win 2-0 with strong defensive play meaning Harvey did not have to touch the ball. The second game was a very even  game against The Beacon, with both sides cancelling each other out. We did create the odd opportunity but could not quite take it and the game finished a 0-0 draw. The Framlingham Prep game gave us the chance to gain revenge for our defeat before half term and the boys played really well, pressing a high line with Sam and Archie controlling the game. Chances came and went for both sides before Framlingham scored from a deflected short corner giving them a narrow win. We then needed to beat Orwell Park to progress. The boys were up for the challenge and Jack caused problems down the right and Charlie H and Elliott H pressed their defenders into mistakes which we capitalised on to win this match 2-0.

We then Played Dulwich Prep in the quarter finals for a place in the semi-finals. The game was very entertaining with both sides going for the win. Strong defensive play from Harvey , Joseph and Archie kept the ball out and Sam and Charlie were forcing the opposition’s keeper into some great saves, but it remained goalless which led to golden goal extra time.  Neither side could score which meant penalty shuffles were required to decide this match. We scored our first one and Harvey then made a great save, but Dulwich scored  their next one and we had our shot saved, so it the went to sudden death!  Both sides scored again, before we had our shot saved after which Dulwich scored to progress through to the semi-finals.
Whilst disappointed we had to pick ourselves up again for a play off game against Town Close for a place in the Nationals. Town Close stared well and we were kept in the game by very strong play from Sam, Archie, Elliott and Joseph before Harvey made a brilliant save again. Charlie H and Jack created a chance but we could not quite take  it and the game ended goalless, meaning we had to go into golden goal extra time for the second game running. The boys put it all on the line showing huge amounts of grit and tenacity to keep the game goalless however this meant that we had to go to penalty shuffles yet again. Sam H scored first, before Harvey saved the Town Close shot, Jack had his penalty well saved before Harvey made another save, meaning if Archie scored we would be through – he took his time and moved the keeps around, before slipping the ball into the corner of the goal to send us through in very dramatic style!
The squad of boys played their hearts out all day and thoroughly deserved their success especially after picking themselves up from losing the quarter finals in such a painful way. Millfield here we come!
Team: Harvey P, Archie W, Joseph G, Sam H, Elliott H, Jack W, Charlie H, Arthur C, George B
2018-03-11T14:56:31+00:00March 11th, 2018|Boys' Sport|