U11 boys’ at Regional IAPS Championships


Following on from their success at the ISA National Hockey Championships the U11 boys were back in action to try and book themselves a place at the IAPS National Hockey Finals. The plan for the morning was simple, finish in the top two of the group, which would then lead into the cup competition and a chance of qualification. In their first match against Beeston Hall, the boys looked nervous, but an Archie C goal and a sharp save from Lennon T gave them the win. They then followed this up with a 4-0 win in their next game, before drawing 0-0 with Gresham’s. A win in the final pool game would mean that the boys would top their group and this they certainly did. With James M running the midfield and JC having his best game on the wing, the boys ran out 5-0 winners against the Abbey.

With only two qualifying places available for the nationals, the semi-final against Orwell Park was a must win game. Although under pressure, the U11s held their nerve and 2 goals from Archie C gave them the perfect start, however Orwell never gave up and managed to pull a goal back before half time. The second half was a rather nervy affair, but the back three of Lennon, Oliver B and Bertie C stood firm and the game ended 2-1 to LPS@TH. With qualification now assured the boys played some of their best hockey in the Final against Gresham’s and did everything but score. With the game 0-0 at full time it went to 5 minutes extra time and golden goal. Both teams had their chances, but with a minute left Gresham’s were awarded a short corner, from which they finally managed to score the winning goal.
Although this wasn’t quite the end the boys had been hoping for, they should all be very proud of the way that they have conducted themselves over the last few days and should look forward to the National Finals at Rugby School in March.

Lennon T, Archie C, Oliver B, James A, James M, JC, Archie C, Riley B

U13 boys’ at Regional IAPS Championships

The U13 boys started very strongly with some free-flowing hockey in the first half of their first game, creating a number of chances, with Isaac, Elliott, Arthur and Nathan all scoring to give us a good start, beating South Lee 4-0. Next we took on a very strong Felsted side, who scored a well-worked goal. Our boys started to get into the game and had a chance that just flew past the post, before Felsted scored soon after half time. LPS@TH then played some good hockey but failed to score and the result remained 0-2 to Felsted. With two games left to try to make the nationals, the boys took on Arnold House knowing that they had to win. They started slowly yet still managed to take the lead with two quick goals and then another before half time. We spoke of the need to up the intensity and to keep moving the ball. The boys certainly took heed of the advice and scored a further 6 unanswered goals giving us a 9-0 win. The pick of the goals was a drag flick from the top D by Arthur C. The last game in group was against Witham Hall and the winner would go through to the cup quarter finals. We started strongly and were soon two up thanks to Arthur and Nathan, before Elliott finished the game off with a fine strike. We won the game 3-0 and were into the quarter finals.

We played Orwell Park and the game was very even with chances at both ends before Isaac hit the post with a great effort. Orwell then secured soon after half time and despite creating a few more chances we failed to score and unfortunately were out. The boys played so well and were a great credit to the school.

Team: Danny W, Louis M, Luca P, Elliott H, Arthur C, Nathan M, Joel F